A treasure of the Atlantic coast
The department of Charente-Maritime is one of the most touristic in France.
Charente-Maritime has many assets that will appeal to holidaymakers such as its islands (Ré, Oléron, Aix and Madame), its natural areas such as vineyards, marshes, a rich cultural and gastronomic heritage.
A vast coastal area
The 150 km or so of beach will not leave you indifferent to the charms of the Charente-Maritime. Many of these beaches have been awarded the "Blue Flag" label:
- The Gros Jonc beach on the island of Ré.
- The beaches of Chef de Baie, La Concurrence and Les Minimes located in La Rochelle
- The beaches of Boyardville, Les Saumonards, La Gauterelle, Plaisance, Le Douhet, Les Sables Vignier, les Bonnes, la Giraudière, Gatseau and la Grande Plage on the island of Oléron.
- Le Chay beach in Royan
For the lovers of board sports, you will find very beautiful beaches for surfing, kite surfing and bodyboarding on the islands of Ré and Oléron.
The numerous beaches of the Charente-Maritime invite you to relax and let go of everyday life.
What could be better than a stay by the sea to fully recharge your batteries.
A rich cultural and natural heritage
Charente-Maritime is a real treasure for culture lovers.
Young and old will have stars in their eyes when visiting:
- The paleosite of Saint Césaire: it is a site dedicated to prehistory that takes you back in time.
- The towers of La Rochelle: True guardians of the city of La Rochelle in the 14th century, the towers can now be visited and offer a magnificent panorama of the maritime city of La Rochelle.
- The royal rope factory in Rochefort: Immerse yourself in the extraordinary history of the manufacture of the Sun King's rope.
- The castle of La Roche Courbon in Saint Porchaire: Ideal for a family outing as the castle of La Roche Courbon offers fun activities for children.
- La Palmyre Zoo: Located near Royan, the zoo has more than 1600 animals that will take you to the four corners of the world.
- The aquarium of La Rochelle: Ideal for a family walk, the aquarium welcomes you all year round.
There are many other sites to visit in Charente-Maritime. Don't hesitate to ask for information at the reception of Camping Les Coquettes during your stay on Oleron island.
A varied gastronomy
Charente-Maritime is a territory that mixes land and sea.
Seafood lovers will be delighted with oysters from the Marennes-Oléron basin, mussels from Charron, fish from the Cotinière or La Rochelle auctions.
Many vineyards are also present in Charente-Maritime and produce pineau which is the pride of the department.
The marshes on the islands of Ré and Oléron allow them to produce the much appreciated fleur de sel to sublimate a good home-made dish.